The Brisbane Metro project will replace and enhance existing busway lines with high-capacity metro lines:
- Metro 1 – connecting 11 stations via the South East Busway from Eight Mile Plains station via Griffith University to Roma Street station. The line is designed to connect southern suburbs to the inner city whilst providing interchanges to other TransLink services.
- Metro 2 – 12 stations from RBWH station to UQ Lakes station. This line will provide key connectivity to education and health sectors by connecting the University of Queensland, Royal Brisbane & Women’s Hospital, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Queensland Children’s Hospital, Mater Private Hospital, Mater Hospital and the Queensland University of Technology via the Eastern and Northern busways.
- Both lines will run through the CBD, South Brisbane and Southbank Cultural precinct.
When complete, Brisbane’s Metro 1 and Metro 2 lines will:
- Utilise long high capacity metro vehicles with multiple entry and exit points
- Have services every three minutes during peak hours, five minutes during off peak times, and 10 minutes at night.
- Decrease local commute times by 50%
- Run services from 5am to midnight on weekdays and 24 hours on weekends.
- Cater to 22,000 passengers per hour